The affiliate borrower application must be submitted in person at the library front desk. Blank copies of the application are available in the file drawer of the front desk and in the User Services folder on the S: drive (S:\User Services\Circulation\Patrons\Affiliate Borrowers\Application\Affiliate Application.docx). Place the completed application form in Emily’s inbox once you are finished creating the patron record.
Information about the different groups of people eligible for affiliate borrower accounts can be found on the Visitors page of the library website, under “Borrowing Privileges at NU”: http://library.northwestu.edu/services/visitors/.
The library account must be in the name of the qualified borrower (ex. pastor or NAPCU student). Spouses, family members, and other individuals authorized to use the account should be listed as proxy borrowers.
Verifying the Patron’s Credentials
- If the patron is a recent graduate, check WMS to see if there is an existing record for them.
- If the patron has their old NU student ID card, this is acceptable verification. Otherwise, ask for another picture ID to verify their identity.
- If the patron already has an account in WMS but doesn’t have their NU student ID card anymore, use their existing account and tell them to bring a picture ID when checking out books.
- You can also check their enrollment status in PowerCampus. If they are not listed as alumni in PowerCampus, contact the Alumni Office (http://eagle.northwestu.edu/directory/department/advancement/) to check their status.
Pastors and Missionaries
- Ask for a business card showing their church or missions board affiliation.
- Pastors – If they do not have a business card, try checking their church’s website.
AGTS (Assemblies of God Theological Seminary)
- Ask to see their current student ID.
- Ask to see their current student ID. All NAPCU schools are listed here: http://library.northwestu.edu/napcu/.
Issuing a Library Card
Every affiliate borrower should be issued an NU Library affiliate borrower card. These cards have the NU Library logo and numbers in the format: A000001234. Have the patron print (not sign) their full name on the card.
In the past, other forms of identification could be used (NC Library cards, student ID cards, cards from other institutions, etc.). Affiliate borrowers with these older forms of identification should be issued an NU Library card the next time they come in to the library. When you issue the new card you will need to update the patron record in the WMS Admin module and scan the new card number into the Barcode field.
Creating the Patron Record
After verifying that the patron’s application is complete, you may create a new patron account for them in WMS.
From the Circulation module, verify that the patron does not already have an account in WMS (this is especially important for NU Alumni). If an account already exists for the patron, update their patron type, address, telephone, email, and expiration date accordingly.
Once you confirm that there is no existing record, click the Create New Patron button.
Fill in the patron’s information. Make sure to choose Affiliate for patron type, and select the proper expiration date.
NU Alumni, Pastors, Missionaries – Set the expiration date for the end of the month, two years in the future.
NAPCU, AGTS – Ask the patron when their current term (quarter, semester, or trimester) is over. Set the expiration date for the end of that month.
Community Borrowers – Set the expiration date for the end of the month, one year in the future.
After the patron record has been created, go into the Profile section and add a Staff Note indicating what type of affiliate borrower the patron is. If the patron is a pastor, missionary, or NAPCU student, specify what institution they are affiliated with.
Updating Patron Information
Pastors and missionaries receive unlimited account renewals. When one of these patrons contacts the library to renew an expired library account, please verify their church/missions board affiliation and update their account information if necessary.
If the patron no longer has a church or missions board affiliation, see if they qualify for a free library account under another category. If they do not, they will be classified as a Community Borrower and will need to pay the $40/year fee.