The affiliate borrower application must be submitted in person at the library front desk. Blank copies of the application are available in the top right drawer of the front desk and in the User Services folder on the S: drive (S:\User Services\Circulation\Patrons\Affiliate Borrowers\Application\Affiliate Application.docx). Place the completed application form in Emily’s inbox once you are finished creating the patron record.
Information about the different groups of people eligible for affiliate borrower accounts can be found on the Visitors page of the library website, under “Borrowing Privileges at NU”: http://library.northwestu.edu/services/visitors/.
The library account must be in the name of the qualified borrower (ex. pastor or NAPCU student). Spouses, family members, and other individuals authorized to use the account should be listed as proxy borrowers.
Verifying the Patron’s Credentials
- If the patron is a recent graduate, check WMS to see if there is an existing record for them.
- If the patron has their old NU student ID card, this is acceptable verification. Otherwise, ask for another picture ID to verify their identity.
- If the patron already has an account in WMS but doesn’t have their NU student ID card anymore, use their existing account and tell them to bring a picture ID when checking out books.
- You can also check their enrollment status in PowerCampus. If they are not listed as alumni in PowerCampus, contact the Alumni Office (http://eagle.northwestu.edu/directory/department/advancement/) to check their status.
Pastors and Missionaries
- Ask for a business card showing their church or missions board affiliation.
- Pastors – If they do not have a business card, try checking their church’s website.
Fuller Theological Seminary
- Ask to see their current student ID.
- Check the list of currently enrolled students located in the User Services folder on the S: drive (S:\User Services\Circulation\Patrons\Fuller).
AGTS (Assemblies of God Theological Seminary)
- Ask to see their current student ID.
- Ask to see their current student ID. All NAPCU schools are listed here: http://library.northwestu.edu/services/napcu-libraries/.
Issuing a Library Card
- If the patron already has an account in WMS, do not issue them a library card. They should use their old NU student ID card or another picture ID when checking out books.
- If the patron does not have an account in WMS and does not have their old NU student ID card anymore, look up their student ID number in PowerCampus and use it when creating their record. Do not issue them a library card. They should use another picture ID when checking out books.
- Use the student’s Fuller ID card instead of issuing them a new library card. Scan the barcode on their student ID card to generate their account number (it should begin with an L). This number is their Fuller library card number and they use it to log in to their Fuller library accounts. See this blog post for more information.
- Use their student ID card instead of issuing them a new library card. Scan the barcode on their student ID to generate their account number. If their ID card does not have a barcode, you can place an NU barcode on their student ID card or issue them a new library card, whichever they prefer.
Pastors and Missionaries, Community Borrowers
- Issue them a new library card. Place a barcode on the back and have them sign the front. Use the barcode when setting up their patron record.
Creating the Patron Record
After verifying that the patron’s application is complete, you may create a new patron account for them in WMS.
From the Circulation module, verify that the patron does not already have an account in WMS (this is especially important for NU Alumni). If an account already exists for the patron, update their patron type, address, telephone, email, and expiration date accordingly.
Once you confirm that there is no existing record, click the Create New Patron button.
Fill in the patron’s information. Make sure to choose Affiliate for patron type, and select the proper expiration date.
NU Alumni, Pastors, Missionaries – Set the expiration date for the end of the month, two years in the future.
Fuller – Set the expiration date for the following November 1. We receive the Fuller patron list once a year in October, so that will provide for the most up-to-date status.
NAPCU, AGTS – Ask the patron when their current term (quarter, semester, or trimester) is over. Set the expiration date for the end of that month.
Community Borrowers – Set the expiration date for the end of the month, one year in the future.
After the patron record has been created, go into the Profile section and add a Staff Note indicating what type of affiliate borrower the patron is. If the patron is a pastor, missionary, or NAPCU student, specify what institution they are affiliated with.
Updating Patron Information
Pastors and missionaries receive unlimited account renewals. When one of these patrons contacts the library to renew an expired library account, please verify their church/missions board affiliation and update their account information if necessary.
If the patron no longer has a church or missions board affiliation, see if they qualify for a free library account under another category. If they do not, they will be classified as a Community Borrower and will need to pay the $40/year fee.