Due to occasional problems with WMS, sometimes when you try to check out an item or place it on hold for a patron, the system will not recognize the barcode, so a Create Temporary Item window will appear:
Please include as much identifying information as you can in the following fields:
- Title: Include title, subtitle, and extra information such as volume number, grade level (for curriculum), and item type if it’s listed on the spine label (for accompanying material such as CDs)
- Reference library of Asian America (v. 2)
- Japanese for busy people (Cassettes)
- JAMA: the Journal of the American Medical Association (v. 302, no. 9, Sept. 2 2009)
- Author: Include author’s name using [last name, first name] formatting for consistency. If there is no author, just type “None,” since the record won’t save without an author.
- Frydenberg, Jia
- Barcode: The information should already be filled in from scanning the barcode.
- Material: Ignore.
- Location: Change to Kirkland campus, as it defaults to Sacramento. Also choose the correct library location to ensure proper checkout duration periods.
At the bottom of the window, choose whether you want to check out the item, place it on hold, or just create a temporary record without doing anything else to it.
When you are done, your Temporary Item window will look something like this:
Select Create Item, and then you have created a temporary item.
When that is done, please e-mail the title, author, and barcode info to the Technical Services Librarian to figure out the problem.
One of WMS’s many quirks is that when you are looking at our holdings for a record that has several items, it does not automatically show the individual items. The Locker Key record is a good example of this.
To get around this, you need to click on the copy line, which will then display the items in barcode order (not in item order, which would actually make sense):