- The library accepts gifts of books or other materials estimated by the donor to be less than $500 in value provided that the gift is unrestricted and offered without limiting conditions. Gifts estimated by the donor to be worth more than $500 will be directed to the Development Office.
- The library reserves the right to determine the disposition of all gifts in the manner most suitable to its nature.
- All gifts shall be considered in terms of future cost maintenance, i.e., will additions have to be made on a regular basis to keep it up to date, will it be necessary to seek an endowment for supplements, will it require special shelving or a collection area, will additional staff be needed to process, maintain it?
- The cost of processing and/or repairing the material should not exceed the value of the item.
- The library does not place a dollar value on gifts for income tax purposes. It can acknowledge receipt for a particular number of items. The donor assumes full responsibility for assigning cash value.
Materials integrated into the library should meet the same requirements for selection as the library’s own purchases.