Download or View Online?
You only need to download an ebook if you plan to view it while you are not connected to the Internet. Downloading ebooks is a bit of a hassle, whereas viewing the book online is a simple as using a PDF, so prefer online viewing when possible.
Which EBooks Can be Downloaded
Not all books can be downloaded in their entirety. Look for an icon like the ones below to see if a particular book can be downloaded.
Books that are not available for download may still allow you to save an individual chapter or range of pages as a PDF file for offline viewing. Look for a “save” option to export a single chapter or range of pages to PDF.
- Mac or PC: Adobe Digital Editions 1.7.1 or higher is required. Free Download.
- Apple IOS or Android Phones or Tablets: Bluefire Reader. Free from the App Store.
- Amazon Kindle: not supported for most library eBooks.
- Adobe ID. Sign up at Adobe.com for a free ID. You will enter this password the first time you launch Adobe Digital Editions or the Bluefire Reader.
- NU Email. A current NU email address and password.
- Ebsco ID. EBSCOhost ebooks also require that you create a Ebsco login at the time of checkout.