Faculty have a 90 day checkout period for most books in the library and 30 days for videos. You can renew items one time using the My Account link at the top of the library homepage. With a current NU ID card, you can check out materials directly from SPU, SU, PLU, UPS, SMU and other partner libraries in the region.
Directing Students to Library Resources
Help your students find quality sources for their papers by directing them to library resources.
- Place a link to the appropriate subject guide (located on the left of this page) on your Discovery site.
- Mention or require certain resources be used. Educate your students about the most important academic research resources in their field.
- Invite a librarian to talk to your class.
- Not sure what is available in your subject area? We will meet with you one-on-one.
On Your Syllabus
- Review your assignments. Make sure they can be completed with the available resources.
- If you are directing students to the library for a specific resource, make sure to place it on reserve.
- Verify with the library that any eBooks you mention are licensed for multiple simultaneous users.
- Require the use of library resources in your assignments and specify databases by name.
- Update your course bibliography and send it to the library.
Critical Thinking Skills
The NU Library provides resources to help students evaluate sources of information, whether or not library resources are required for their assignments. Two methods of source evaluation available on the library website are The 5 Ws and the CARP Test.
The NU Library strives to promote information literacy and research skills by offering training and instructional support to faculty and students in classes that require research and/or library use.
The NU librarians are available to provide in-class library/research instruction, develop research guides, assist in designing effective research assignments, and more. Please contact Lianne Pang, the Reference Services Librarian, at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.