Holds and Recalls
Placing a hold on a title that is currently available in the library will reserve the item for you. The library staff will retrieve the item and place it on the Kirkland Campus Library hold shelf for pickup.
Placing a hold on a title that is currently checked out will reserve the item for you when it is next available. The original due date of the item will not change, but the current borrower will not be able to renew it.
Holds will generally be available within 24 hours for items that are not checked out. For items that are currently checked out, holds will generally be available within 24 hours after the item is returned.
When a hold is ready for pickup, an email notification will be sent to your NU email account. Textbooks will be available for pickup until closing time of the next open day, all other holds will be available for pickup for 7 days.
Oregon Campus items cannot be placed on hold. Items from one campus cannot be transferred to the other.
If there is an immediate need for a specific item, library staff can place a recall which will require the current borrower to return the item immediately.
- Holds may be placed through the library catalog.
- Click Place Hold from the search results or from the left side of the item details page.
- On the next page, click on the Place Hold button in the upper right corner.
- If you are not already logged in, you will be prompted to log in to your library account.
- After logging in, you may click Show more options to enter details such as volume(s) needed or date the item is not needed after, and click Confirm hold.
- You will receive an email notification to the email account we have on file when your hold is ready for pickup.